East Liverpool City Hospital owes its existence to a group of women of
the community "who saw the great need of a hospital." The turn
of the century was a boom time for East Liverpool, the center of the U.S.
pottery industry. The city's many potteries turned out dinnerware
by the millions of dozens, boasting "we set the tables of America."
Yet surgeries were performed in doctor's offices and nursing care
was provided in private homes.
The City Hospital Association was organized Jan. 30, 1896, by a group of
the city's leading women, meeting in the old YMCA building on W. Fifth
St. The association was chartered by the state that same year. Property
on Wall Street was purchased March 18, 1897, but no building funds became
available and that land eventually was sold. The present site was acquired
in September 1903.
Through funds raised by these concerned women, the first hospital building
was erected on Sixth Street at a cost of $25,000. Opened Jan. 1, 1905,
it had 52 beds in wards and 12 private rooms. Care was provided by student
nurses in the hospital's Training School of Nursing under supervision
of head nurses and a superintendent. The average length of stay during
this era was 28 days; the number of patients admitted each year was less than 300.
The First Addition to the hospital was erected in 1911 on Fifth Street,
followed by the Fireproof Addition (West Wing) in 1931. A major building
program after W.W.II included the three-story North Wing (1954). The four-story
Metsch-Harker Building behind the hospital was erected in 1964 for the
nurse training program. A one-story addition to pediatrics and the employee
cafeteria were added in 1966. The main hospital building, the six-story
East Wing, was completed in 1977 at a cost of $11 million. A comprehensive
$9 million renovation and construction project (1990-94) improved access,
utilization and facilities.
In 2005, as it celebrated its 100th Anniversary, the hospital broke ground
for its new North-East Addition. Investing more than $18 million in capital
funds, the hospital expanded its emergency room services with a modern
facility that includes private patient rooms, trauma beds, dedicated lab
and x-ray services, an ortho clinic, isolation rooms and decontamination
capabilities. The new ER became fully functional in 2007.
The new addition supports a rooftop helipad used to help transport patients
to advanced trauma or specialty care facilities. The medical flight crew
has direct elevator access to and from the emergency room so that patients
can be transferred via air in rapid fashion.
The new addition also houses the 4NE wing of 12 private patient rooms.
Recent renovations made most of the rooms on the fourth and fifth floors
(except for ICCU) into private patient rooms. The new rooms increase patient
privacy and help improve infection control measures.
East Liverpool City Hospital prides itself with its commitment of keeping
current with technology and trends in healthcare. Its focus is on patient
care and doing what best serves each one.
The hospital's early administrators were a succession of nurse superintendents,
the most notable of whom was Nell Robinson, who administrated City Hospital
from 1929 to 1971. She was succeeded by Carl Ballerstein (1971-79), Bruce
Nielsen (1979-89), Melvin R. Creeley (1989-2010) and Kenneth Cochran (2010-2015)
and current CEO Keith Richardson (2016-).
To deliver exceptional care to all and improve the health of our community.
To provide compassionate care and clinical excellence to all patients as
we create hospitals that improve health care in every community we serve.
Respect – We recognize the inherent value and unique contributions
of each individual.
Integrity – We hold ourselves to the highest standards of moral and
ethical values and principles, both personally and professionally.
Service – We are committed to satisfying the needs of others beyond
Excellence – We will cultivate and perpetuate a spirit of inquiry
and creativity, leading to outstanding evidence based healthcare and excellence
in medical education.
Stewardship – We will use wise and effective talent and resources
in a collaborative manner to advance and achieve our goals and mission.